Seven Ponds Nature Center 2020 Michigan BioBlitz Weekend!
WHEN: Saturday, September 19 & Sunday, September 20, 2020
WHERE: Anywhere in the great state of Michigan
WHAT: Observe animals, plants, and fungi (including lichens)
HOW: Use your smart phone and a free app called iNaturalist
WHO: You! Your family! Your friends!
- Include observations of plants, fungi, and animals (excluding pets, domestic animals, and cultivated plants).
- BioBlitz is a great activity for families and nature enthusiasts!
- You will be contributing to the global knowledge of living things.
- You can participate as much or a little as you have time for.
- Our BioBlitz can be done at home, at a local park, on vacation, or even at the nature center!
- All observations must take place within the state of Michigan.
- All you need is a smart phone and an iNaturalist account (free).
- No identification skills required – but you will certainly gain some experience!
STEP 1: Sign up for a free iNaturalist account:
· Go to iNaturalist.org, click on SIGN UP, follow the simple steps to set up your account.
STEP 2: Join the Seven Ponds Nature Center 2020 Michigan BioBlitz project:
· Under the MORE icon in the lower right corner, select PROJECTS.
· Scroll through the NEARBY list or use the magnifying glass to search for Seven Ponds Nature Center 2020 BioBlitz.
· Select that project and then select JOIN. You can also go HERE and join our project directly.
· Once you’ve joined our project, all of your observations made on September 19 and 20 in Michigan will automatically be added to our BioBlitz project!
STEP 3: Observe nature!
· Select the OBSERVE (camera) icon.
· Either take a photo or select a photo from your album.
· Select NEXT.
· Select WHAT DID YOU SEE? – a list of possible identifications will appear – select the one you are most confident with.
· Select the location icon and move the pointer to the correct location on the map. If you are currently at the location of the observation, select the arrow icon in the lower left corner.
· Select SHARE to contribute your observation to the iNaturalist database.
· CONGRATULATIONS! You did it!
· Once other users confirm your identification, your observation will move from “Needs ID” status to “Research Grade” status. You will have contributed to citizen science!
· Note: if your original ID is incorrect, experienced iNaturalist participants will suggest other IDs. Eventually your observation will be correctly identified by the community.
All animal, plant, and fungi observations you make in Michigan over the weekend of September 19-20 will automatically be included in our BioBlitz project. It’s SUPER easy to participate!